The first block on NE A is now all parking lots, except on the northern end, it’s the east end of a modern building facing NE 1st. It was a beautiful row of buildings in 1964-1965.
Going WAY back, we see the Savoy Hotel sitting at the corner of Central and NE A.
Once the Savoy was demolished in 1938, this corner lot was used for parking and for various cab companies.
By 1965, this building was sitting vacant. In 1927, this was the site of Morris Garage, which became R & S Garage in 1930. This business remained in operation until 1954. In 1955, Macy Motors opened up here, a Packard dealer. They were last seen in 1958. Additionally, there was an office here selling real estate and insurance by various businesses starting in 1944.
This building was part of Morris Garage in 1927. Montgomery-Ward was here from 1947 to 1954. in 1954 it held the Home Furniture Annex.
27-29 NE A was Pinnell Apartments in 1930. By 1944, it had become Sparks Apartments. By 1965, the apartments were vacant. The lower floor of 29 was home to Farmers Insurance in 1954, and to Miami Pawn and Jewelry in 1958. They were still in business in 1965.
This residence was in the middle of the business block. It advertised boarding rooms in 1930.
This building, erected about 1918, was long known as the home of the Miami News-Record, until the new building was built in 1960. Safeway was the occupant of the 1st Street side from 1941 to 1956.
Perhaps no building on the east side of NE A is missed as much as this one. On the positive side, there are plenty of free parking spaces in Miami nowadays.
When the buildings on the east side of 100 block were removed, This one, housing Wardrobe Cleaners, was taken out as well. The lone survivor on the block was the Wilson Paint and Wallpaper building. it would make an appropriate home for a Charles Banks Wilson museum, don’t you think?